History

Established in 1864, Cedar Hill Cemetery encompasses 270 acres of landscaped memorial grounds.

In the Victorian era, public sentiment encouraged cemeteries to serve a larger purpose. As a place for burial and tranquil beauty. This led to the development of the American rural cemetery.

In Hartford, the need for a cemetery that was both practical and beautiful became evident. In response, a group of citizens asked Jacob Weidenmann to identify a location for a new cemetery. Weidenmann, Hartford’s Park Superintendent, found a site in the city’s south end.

The desired location included nine parcels of land. In May 1864, the General Assembly granted the power to acquire the land by eminent domain. This marked the beginnings of Cedar Hill.

Construction of the cemetery began in September 1865 and the first burial took place on July 17, 1866. Weidenmann, a landscape architect, designed the grounds. His innovative layout was the guiding principle for the book, Modern Cemeteries (1888).

Today, Cedar Hill is a nationally-recognized rural cemetery. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, more than 34,000 people are laid to rest here.

 



Save