George Beach (1788 – 1860)
George Beach was born in 1788 in Litchfield, Connecticut. He began his career as a clerk for a West India trade merchant. A few years later, he became a partner in the trade business Pierce & Beach, however, the firm was unable to survive the War of 1812. Beach then became cashier of the Phoenix Bank of Hartford upon its establishment in 1814. He continued in this position until 1837 when he was elected president. Upon becoming too ill to work, Beach resigned from this position April 5, 1860 and died less than a month later on May 3.
In addition to his career at the Phoenix Bank of Hartford, George Beach was a partner of Phelps, Beach & Company. When Mr. Phelps retired, the company changed to Beach & Co. and George Beach managed it. He was also the captain of the Governor’s Foot Guard.
George Beach was extremely generous with his wealth. One of his most recognized gifts was the donation of land on Market Street for St. Paul’s Church and Widow’s Home.
The Beach memorial at Cedar Hill was designed by noted architect Richard Upjohn who later designed the State Capitol building in Hartford. The cupola over the Capitol dome resembles the cupola atop the Beach monument.
Although George Beach died in 1860, prior to the establishment of Cedar Hill Cemetery, his family had him disinterred from his original burial site at Spring Grove Cemetery in north Hartford and interred at Cedar Hill on March 9, 1870.
Hart, Samuel. (1917). Encyclopedia of Connecticut Biography. American Historical Society, page 267. Accessed at http://books.google.com on June 27, 2008.
Trumbull, James Hammond & Jewett, C.F. (1886). The Memorial History of Hartford, Connecticut, 1633 – 1884. E.L. Osgood, page 666. Accessed at http://books.google.com on June 27, 2008.