Keney Monument, 1885-86
Celebrated Hartford architect George Keller designed this Gothic-style monument for Walter and Henry Keney. Noted for its vertical emphasis, pointed arches and heavily ornamented spires, Gothic architecture was closely associated with cemeteries.
The Keney Monument features a traditional shaft, octagonal in shape, terminating in a small church steeple with acanthus decoration. At the midpoint of the shaft is an arcade of round arches over which are Gothic foils with cusps and peaked gables and under which are inscribed panels. Below the panels is a series of shields with various heraldic symbols.
Executed in blue Westerly granite by New England Granite Works, the Keney Monument was the most costly ($13,419.75) and tallest (41 feet) monument noted in the company’s 1880s account books.
To learn more about wholesale grocers Walter and Henry Keney, click here.