Thomas H. Seymour Monument – Completed
THOMAS H. SEYMOUR (1807-1868)
Section 12, Lot 10
Born in Hartford, Thomas H. Seymour graduated from Middletown Military Academy. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1833. In 1836, he took the position of judge of probate and shortly thereafter, he became editor of The Jeffersonian, a democratic newspaper.
Seymour was elected to the U. S. House of Representatives in 1842 and served one term. He declined reelection in 1844. With the breakout of the Mexican-American War in 1846, Seymour was commissioned major of the 9th regiment of volunteers. Following the war, he returned to Hartford. He received the Democratic nomination for Governor in 1849 but lost the election. He ran again in 1850 and easily won. He was re-elected in 1851, 1852 and 1853.
Seymour resigned as Governor in 1853 to accept the commission of Minister to Russia from President Franklin Pierce, and he served in this position until 1858. The next several years were laden with unsuccessful political campaigns. He ran for governor unsuccessfully in 1860 and 1863, and in 1864 he sought the Democratic nomination for president but lost to Civil War General George B. McClellan.
Seymour died of typhoid fever in September 1868. The Seymour Monument Association formed to raise funds to purchase a lot and to erect a suitable monument at Cedar Hill. Although buried in 1868, the monument project lingered for many years. In 1880, the Association made a contract with S. Maslen & Co. for the monument. E. S. Woods modeled two bronze medallions, one a portrait of Seymour and the other portraying Masonic symbols, for the Egyptian-styled monument. The monument was unveiled in 1881 with an elaborate ceremony attended by over 1,000 spectators.
Recommended Conservation Treatment Completed:
Conserve Art LLC cleaned the decorative bronze and applied a protective coating to inhibit future deterioration.