Veteran City Guard Memorial – Completed
The Veteran City Guard of Hartford erected this monument as a memorial to the men of Company F, 169th Infantry, Connecticut National Guard (established in 1861). West Hartford architect A. Raymond Ellis designed the monument featuring a granite shaft 18 feet high surmounted by a bronze eagle. The Bottinelli Monument Company of New London erected the memorial in 1939.
Conservation Treatment Completed: The bronze eagle was preserved so as to maintain the aged character of the sculpture. Conserve Art LLC cleaned the eagle, added minimal artists’ pigments to improve distracting discoloration in small areas, and applied a protective coating to inhibit future deterioration.