Born in Colchester, Charles H. Northam moved to Hartford in 1812 to accept a position at a grocery store. After learning the trade, Northam operated his own grocery with various partners.
As he became prosperous, Northam expanded his interests into shipping and accumulated great wealth. He retired from the grocery business in 1862 at which time he became president of the Mercantile Bank.
Northam was a generous philanthropist who donated funds to the Home for the Aged, Trinity College (Northam Towers), Hartford Hospital, Christ Church, and Cedar Hill Cemetery for the construction of a chapel.
Northam Memorial Chapel
Construction of Northam Memorial Chapel at Cedar Hill began in the summer of 1882. Architect George Keller, who also designed the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch in Bushnell Park, designed the building. Constructed of granite, the chapel reflects Keller’s Victorian vision with an overall simplistic architectural design.
Northam Memorial Chapel was dedicated on November 12, 1883 – exactly two years after Northam’s death.
Section 2, Lot 37
Hartford Courant. Obituary, November 14, 1881
History of the Northam Memorial Chapel at Cedar Hill Cemetery. Cedar Hill Cemetery, Hartford, CT: 1982.
Northam Memorial Chapel, Cedar Hill Cemetery & Foundation, 2010