Edward Hapgood was a prominent architect in Hartford and West Hartford, Connecticut.
A New York native, Edward was educated in public schools before entering the New York office of George Martin Huss, a well-known architect. He studied three years with Huss as well as at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. He then operated his own New York office between 1889 and 1893.
Hapgood & Hapgood
Edward moved to Hartford in 1893, forming Hapgood & Hapgood with his cousin Melvin. The firm had more than 300 commissions from Maine to Colorado between 1893 and 1899. They designed houses, libraries, office buildings, and churches.
They were also involved with decorative arts such as wallpaper, woodwork, stained glass, and frescoes. They worked in a variety of styles including Gothic Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, and Tudor Revival. Edward excelled at Colonial Revival.
After Melvin died in 1899, Edward continued on his own until his death in 1915.
Edward Hapgood’s achievements include the Connecticut State Library and Supreme Court Building (with Donn Barber), two Hartford insurance company headquarters (Rossia Insurance Company and Scottish Union & National Insurance Company), and many fine homes in Hartford’s west end.
Section 10, Lot 66
Hartford Courant. “Sudden Death of Edward T. Hapgood,” September 11, 1915
Hartford Courant. Crosbie, Michael J. “Tour de force: Architecture,” April 25, 1992
Town and County Club (formerly the Lyman House), Public Domain